The Death of Dating Apps?

 Folks are bitterly opposed to all of the new charges on AFF, yet it seems to be a trend affecting all "meet people" apps.

Here is a New York Times opinion essay titled  It's Not You: Dating Apps are Getting Worse.  It's a "gift" link so you should be able to read it without being a subscriber.

TL,DR if you don't want to read the essay:  Modern dating apps spoiled us for a number of years by allowing users to operate on their app even without subscribing.  This was enabled by low interest rates and lots of venture capital floating around.  In other words, they weren't really making money with that approach but were still able to keep operating because of infusions of cheap capital.

Now, increasingly, there are add-on charges.   Some sites segregate the more "desirable" members and one has to pay extra to be able to see and contact those profiles.  Tinder supposedly has rolled out a $500 a month plan. 🤯

That actually isn't all that new.  OKCupid used to be pretty transparent about their methods and algorithms and I remember being shocked to learn that they were only showing users other profiles of similar attractiveness.  They gauged that by the number of "likes" a profile received.

Based on the string of losers who were being shown to me, I had to face the reality that I was at most a 5, maybe only a 3.  😳

From the essay:

"Maybe most of us just aren’t as hot as we used to be. Maybe it’s time our inflated egos got knocked down a notch. Maybe the market of people still willing to put themselves out there in an attempt to date has gotten smaller. Or maybe the apps have functionally, intentionally gotten worse, as have our romantic prospects. The more they fail to help us form relationships, the more we’re forced to keep swiping — and paying."

All of which is to say...don't expect those extra charges, or the pressure to subscribe, to be rolled back any time soon.

Comments

  1. Makes me even happier I am not on AFF anymore nor have no need for these pricey dating apps..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to imagine I would ever get on a dating app again; at this point I have to accept that I've aged out. It's pretty much a game for the 20- and 30-somethings.

      Delete
  2. I only see the ones not renewing, leaving, or talking about reading, but I'd love to see the stats on upgrade vs leaving.

    I do see a lot of questions on Reddit asking if dating apps are worth paying for. My long and short answer would be no.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You hear the occasional story of someone meeting a partner on a dating app, but it's not common.

      Delete
  3. AFF is the only 'dating' site I bothered with. I did get to meet a few women when single and lots of couples when part of a couple. But I wouldn't want to pay much more than I did for that privilege.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right. I don't dispute the need for these companies to make money; they're providing a service. But the pricing seems way out of line with what is provided.

      Delete
  4. I read that thing about OKCupid too, and it started making a lot of sense. I hate even the idea of "attractiveness scales". It's gross.

    I can see why dating apps are starting to charge more, though. It was inevitable. But I do maintain that the dating app should be functional before they up the prices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it is kind of gross.

      But as I've written before, I do think people tend to pair up with others of similar attractiveness. I just want to make that evaluation for myself, instead of having my potential dating pool already pared down for me from the start.

      If I had to guess, they may have done it to keep the frustration level down for the extremely conventionally attractive women getting hundreds and hundreds of messages.

      Delete
  5. Hi, Another exiliated here! Aura, Mibelayze in AFF till the new rules... I am gld seeing you here :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Aura! I haven't been posting much over here since the "exiles" were returned, but perhaps that shall change...

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Puppy Love

HNW - Favorite Body Part

The Latest