An old post about moderation

 I've been going through the laborious process of saving off posts on AFF (my count has gone from 1890 to 1765 - woo hoo).

Today I stumbled across this post from 2014 - I would love to re-post it there, but of course there's no way it would get approved by the reviewers of today.  So here you go...

Who's Minding the Store?

There have been a number of posts recently talking about how so many people (ok let's call it as it is - MEN) don't follow norms of respectful behavior on AFF.

I heard a fascinating podcast story yesterday that tied in with this issue. First - a recommendation if you like listening to podcasts: check out Snap Judgement. It's a similar format to This American Life - three or four different stories around a selected theme - but the host, Glynn Washington, is like the anti-Ira Glass. Don't get me wrong, Ira Glass is my uber-crush - I go in for that nerdy Jewish intellectual type. Washington's delivery is completely different, but really entertaining.

Back to the story. It was an interview with a man who landed a job with a large online social network (it wasn't named in the interview, they gave it a pseudonym, Rumbleface). His job was to review photos/videos/posts that were in violation of the site's terms of use. Rumbleface had a computer program that crawled user accounts and found images that had previously been reported on other accounts and found to be violations - but since artificial intelligence isn't perfect, this man's job was to review the computer program's findings and make a determination.

The example that was given was a video showing a naked toddler playing with a dog, and the dog jumps up and snaps at the boy's private parts. Even though it featured a erm, banned topic, users weren't posting it as child , they were posting it because they thought was funny. So in that instance, the video would be removed but the user account wouldn't be removed.

But he ended up seeing lots and lots of very disturbing stuff - and some of it he saw over and over again, because as images got shared around they would appear on multiple profiles and have to be removed. Images that were so disturbing that they persisted in his head, and gave him nightmares at night. images that might start to make a normal person start to lose faith in humanity - or at least, to obsess about the small sub-set of humanity that's truly evil.

He became frustrated with the limitations of his role - he was only allowed to remove images/accounts that had been flagged by the computer program. So he went "rogue", so to speak. "I would spend a few hours doing my designated job, and then I would take some time to go out on my own finding offensive accounts and deleting them. Child abuse? deleted. Dog fighting? deleted. Racist white supremacist? deleted. Diaper fetishist? deleted."

That was where I was caught up short. I've met someone who was a diaper fetishist, and his fetish, while weird, was harmless. The guy wouldn't hurt a fly. Of course I don't know what was on the account that the interviewee deleted - maybe there were offensive pictures, maybe things that weren't harmless. At any rate, that offhand comment gave me pause.

The company eventually caught on to what he was doing, and he was issued a reprimand, but surprisingly, not fired. However when his contract came up for renewal, he left the company, deciding that he couldn't take the job any more. But he couldn't let it go. Even after leaving the job, if he stumbled across offensive accounts on Rumbleface, he would email his former co-workers and ask them to investigate.

It even bled over into offline life. He talked about sitting at a sidewalk cafe, seeing two teenage girls walk by, and then noticing a middle aged man following them, pointing his camera phone at their asses. "I yelled, 'Hey! stop that!' and pointed my finger at him, like, 'I see you'". (I love that actually - wouldn't it be awesome if in a situation where a guy was cat calling at a woman in public, other men called him out on it?)

Anyway...how does all of this tie in with the lack of respect on AFF? Other bloggers have called for more regulation, more attention paid to reports of abuse, and in general I think that would be a good thing - but where does one draw the line between someone who's offensive and disrespectful, and someone who's socially awkward? How do you draw the line between an image that's genuinely offensive, versus one that might gross out "normal" people but be appealing to a small subset of fetishists? I'm not excusing the site for failing to regulate users - but I sure wouldn't want to be the one in charge of taking it on.

And I wondered if the offenders might possibly be motivated to change if they were able to see the constant stream of disrespect that's aimed at women here - like the guy in the interview who saw so many awful things that his awareness became heightened? (I'm thinking about the OKC model where there are users from the site who are volunteer moderators).

Meh - I'm probably being a naive Polyanna to think that anyone might be changed.


Some of the more interesting comments on that post:

1.

I don't think that there should be more censorship. This is an odd place and outside of illegal activities, people should feel free to express themselves here. If you don't like someone ... block them.


2.

I've participated in a lot of online, social, and professional communities. The best communities aren't driven by policies and enforcement, they're driven by precedent and cultural mores. So when you come into the community that is civil and productive and start behaving like an asshat, you're the outlier and won't have much of a voice. It's not unlike the broken window theory, but with people.

There's little incentive for the powers that be here to create such a friendly environment. Their bread and butter is tricking people into believing that they will get laid tonight. Thus, women are approached by these poor, gullible men and treated as if they will put out ASAP.

The solution wouldn't be enforcement but it would be different marketing and more priority on the otherwise-buries blogging and community outlets. Also, better blogging and commenting tools to build up a community's culture. But that would require a significant infrastructure investment and would probably interfere with profit.

I like the anonymity and the low stakes of expressing myself here, and when I was meeting people I found the honesty and directness refreshing. So I accept that I'm dealing with a microcosm here and don't waste my time worrying about people with different goals or approaches.

In all, I wish hints could change but I won't hold my breath. And I still get a lot out of things as they are.


3.

I'd like to see more better policing - and self policing (one can dream, eh/) - but, again, it's hard to know where the line gets drawn. With all the high school drama that goes on in here, there's the problem of malicious reporting as well...and, yes, it's a slippery slope.

BUT

the amount of misogyny here is staggering; the amount of outright abuse is staggering.

I remember reading of a mod on a site similar to RumbleFace who was overwhelmed with the actual physical abuse he (or she) ran across - people would be whinging on about the site not working, or changes, or whatever petty reality - and the moderator would be trying to track an account of an abused child so they could get police presence.

It's not unrelated, IMO.


4.

The thing about all these sites is that there's no constitutional protection for posting on a social network. They can set whatever terms they want to, and they don't have to have any procedures for banning anyone - especially the sites that don't charge. There are some legal limits - posting copyrighted material or material that defames a person - and other than that the sites can do whatever they want. It's up to the users to say, fuck it, we're not going to put up with this any more and either threaten to leave en masse (or just leave). By blogging here despite the emails we get, we condone the behavior.

However, I don't know about others' perceptions - mine is that blog commenting has become much more civil in general than it ever used to be. So maybe by refusing to tolerate it we have made a difference.

Comments

  1. As you know, I was on Fetlife for many years. There are things on Fetlife that I found ridiculously offensive. But, I also accept that their kinks aren't my kinks, and as long as everyone is consenting. I can just walk away and pretend like it doesn't exist. My issue was always when it crossed to non consensual stuff, illegal activities, things that can get one put on a "list" somewhere.

    Obviously, I left Fetlife, and it was because of the lack of oversight by management whose focus on freedom of expression crossed the line into allowing illegal activities. Whitney Wisconsin? Remember her? Sure, he finally let her go, but... Look, there's a story behind why I left and I can't tell it elegantly without discussing things I'm not ready to discuss.

    The point, though, is that I left because of my utter disappointment in the way the site was run. I felt by continuing to stay, I was condoning the behavior on the site.

    The "drama" of AFF was a welcome change from the illegal behavior I witnessed on Fet. While I'm not a fan of drama, it was easier to stomach than men in my inbox talking about illegal activities on Fet.

    Then, the new Community opened and the drama was negligible. Things were looking up, in my view. But we all know what happened and how they've devolved....I can't see myself going back to AFF now. It's a cesspit in the highest sense of the word. And, that's not even talking about the users of the site, that's just management.

    Rot starts from the top and works its way down. Now, you've got the "HMU" guys, content thieves, and scammers taking over the blogs while they ban original content creators because they're "negative" about the state of the site.

    There's still lots of misogyny, add in a few dashes of transphobia, sprinkle in pedo shit, throw in romance scammers, don't forget inconsistent moderation, and you've got AFF Blogs in a nutshell.

    It was fun...till it wasn't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess no matter what social media I'm on, I tend to hunker into my own little circle of friends and am usually somewhat oblivious to these kind of things. As an example I have no idea who Whitney Wisconsin is. 😊 On AFF, I know there were numerous cycles of drama, usually revolving around "top blogger" status right? But since I tended not to follow those people, I was oblivious to that too, most of the time.

      I think AFF has migrated from "not enough" moderation; to a seemingly more rigorous moderation but it focuses on the wrong things and a lot of the time isn't even catching the egregious stuff that we would all agree should be removed.

      Delete
  2. You might label yourself as a smart ass, and you may be one, but you are also a very intelligent, thoughtful and articulate woman. I joined that other site in 2018 and took about 4 months to start reading in the blogs. While I agree that it would probably not make it past the censors today, it is advice that the site management would benefit from. If I did not think that a link to it in a new post would draw the attention of the censors to the original so they could remove it, the linking post might make it past them.

    Warmer weather and a forecast for rain next week! Hooray! I do need to start moving hay from the flat storage to the mow, so that when I may hay, I can quickly store it with the tractor. Moving unused to the mow is done a bit at a time, and keeps me out of trouble for a couple of hours a day until all is moved.

    .🤠

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the flattering comment, but I'm not sure there IS useful advice in the post. It's trying to acknowledge that effective moderation is really challenging to do. AFF could certainly pay better attention to user reports (I've heard of situations where a user reported a clearly illegal post and it wasn't taken down for hours and hours) but then you get into the tricky situation of malicious reporting from people who have an ax to grind with another user.

      Delete
  3. Content moderation is a difficult issue, especially the gray areas. If it's illegal, then actions to be taken are pretty clear. If no action is taken against illegal content, then the blame falls on the site that allows it.

    There is a problem when "justice warriors" take it upon themselves to determine on what's right and wrong, simply based on their personal beliefs.

    If content is not directed at causing harm to others, such as hazing, bullying, harassing, catfishing, scamming, or encouraging others to follow suit in causing harm, then in general, my stance is live and let live.

    Another stance I have is to not feed the trolls. If someone doesn't like my content, then they're invited to never return. Nobody is forcing them to read my content, after all, and there are plenty more to choose from. If I see somebody writing something about me in a less than flattering way, I be like, "you do you, boo," but I won't bother engaging since I'm guessing that will feed into the craving for attention that person has. If someone doesn't agree with me, I'll just bless their hearts.

    My impression is that personal preferences, whether it be towards the content creator or the content itself, drives a lot of the reviewer's decision to whether approve or deny a post. There's probably not much effective oversight going on so it's possible that the reviewers have a lot of latitude in making these decisions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right about the lack of oversight. I think it would be interesting if the Tier 1 staff had to forward every post or comment that they think should be denied to Tier 2 for review, along with an explanation of WHY they think it should be denied. Maybe just for a week or a few days. I have a feeling the volume of denials would drop, radically.

      Delete
  4. Reading this informative and well thought out post, has me Thankful not to be on AFF and all of its rules and policies, and who is minding the store there now..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rules and policies don't have to be a bad thing, if they're actually communicated to the folks who are supposed to be following him. One of my major beefs with the excessive denial of posts and comments, is that we are never told what the supposed violation was. How are we supposed to follow the rules when we don't know what they are?

      Delete
  5. My default position, as a liberal, isn't to censor but only to censor posts on clear and transparent grounds, such as anything illegal.
    I think the idea of a self-policing community is generally the best way forward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure self-policing would work on AFF. Sure, I would certainly report incest or pedophilia if I stumbled across it, but like I said to Debbi I tend to stay within my little bubble of bloggers who I follow. I very rarely scan the New or Trending feeds.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Puppy Love

HNW - Favorite Body Part

The Latest